Lately I have acquired a minor obsession with gilt objects. My husband often wonders why I rarely become obsessed with something cheap. Where is the fun in that?? Plus, when I find things I love that are out of my price range, it provides incentive for me to make a thrifty DIY alternative. So, I’m hopping on the spray-painted-animal bandwagon and allowing this obsession to last just a little longer.
While thinking about what to make with my bronzed objects, I looked around my home and realized I needed more art. Those dried flowers from last fall aren’t very summery and I needed something to fill their void. I decided to go with a variation on specimen charts. To create the 3D art, I picked up some frames from Goodwill, fabric scraps from Joanns, and plastic animals, insects, and shells from Michaels. In the end, the project cost me a wallet-friendly $25.
After you cut the fabric to fit the frame, use craft glue to secure the fabric to the glass. After everything is dry, you can use a hot glue gun to attach the objects to the fabric. The whole project took me about an hour including drying time. Easy as pie. I chose a few different printed fabrics but I think a collection of frames all in that black linen or even burlap would look wonderful in a wall gallery.